Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Away In a Manger

Evening!  I am so elated to be writing this post as I can finally share with you all my canvas creation in full!! 

But first, lets take a peek at the process via some of my Instagram shots shall we

Color is slightly off since I took this oh at like 1 in the morning.
First layers began with some tissue paper crumpled on, torn bits of an Echo Park winter line, and some Golden Gold Mica Flakes

Layers Two and Three
Additions here include Light Molding Paste through a Studio Calico stencil which once dried was sprayed over with mist (read below to see how that went, ha!), White Opaque Flakes spread over the papers, Heidi Swapp Color Shine Sprayed on, Echo Park flourishes added with glitter glue spread over them, and a ScrapFX manger created backed with some Studio Calico paper, and finally some paint to outline the edges of my canvas.
A different portion of the canvas showing a ScrapFX chipboard star added along with some doodling added to highlight the circles on the tissue paper.
 
 This session brought about a hot mess at first lemme tell you!!  I was worried for a bit - just wasn't flowing. A few sprays of mist were entirely shocking and I quickly need to dab that up with paper towel and spray water to get the color diluted.  This of course started to moisten my paste and that started to smear a tad but it was all good because the smear was good - so I say embrace the hot messes my friends when working with mixed media, K it'll all work out! Lets keep this show moving on...

Layer Four
Baby Jesus is the highlight of this canvas to me.  It was ornament made by son in kindergarten and has hung on our tree for many years - he is now 16!  I love that this piece of his childhood art has been brought together with mine.
I added some more ScrapFX chipboard pieces that are meant to be flowers but totally worked as snowflakes in my opinion - you can see them peeking in the lower left and upper right corners.  The wreath was sprayed generously with Color Shine and I added some burlap up top because the manger was looking a little bare.

Layer Five



Time for adding in details and more texture!  The chipboard 'snowflakes' were painted with Lumiere paints, doodled on, and blinged up, flourish outlined with a paint marker, glittery sticker trees added, some raffia misted up and stuck in behind Baby Jesus,  and some fake snow and glass glitter adhered over the edge of the manger to blend it in to the canvas.  The letters used are my absolute fav ScrapFX product - Itty Bitty Bets!!  This is the groovy font. The numbers are the new playground font and there are matching letters available too.

Now what you've been waiting for the full piece!!!

Away In A Manger



This piece is already hanging up decking our halls and I know I'll have a hard time packing it away.  In fact I'm not all that sure I will.  It may just get hung in my creative space once the Christmas season passes after all Jesus is with us with everyday!

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing in my joy over this process and creation.  If you want to know more about the ScrapFX products used head on over there as the full list of products and links is live and you can be inspired by the other DT gals Christmas creations as well!!

6 comments:

  1. WOW! Girl you really know how to layer it! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Its a timely process but oh so fun and worth it!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love the theme on your canvas! Beautiful. I must get some of those mica flakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! Yes you must grab some mica flakes - they come in large and small - I have both!! You will love them and find oh so many uses for them. :)

      Delete
  3. I love love love this! I know I'm going to have take the time to make something canvassy Christmassy for my home next year, so I'll be coming back again and again to look at this for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is beyond fabulous!!! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sweet words - they mean so much to me!!